The Princess of Wales Public House, built in 1820 was closed in 1963 to become a 3 bedroom cottage. A programme of refurbishment over two years has increased the accommodation to 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a new hall and large kitchen / breakfast room.
The solution was to design a modern extension appearing to rise up behind part of a flint garden wall. A mezzanine above the hall accessed via a fixed ladder in the kitchen, provides a new computer and homeworking space for the children.
The project has won a RIBA Spirit of Ingenuity Heritage Award in 2004, the Daily Telegraph Homebuilding and Renovating Best Extension in 2004 and a local authority ‘New Development in the Historic Environment’ Award in 2006.
More recently, a further phase of work included the remodelling of the rear ground floor to include a new cloakroom, wc and boot/dog room.
VIEW SIMILAR PROJECTS